Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy New Year

It's the third and final night of our impromptu trip. The first night we spent with friends, the second in a motel and tonight we're in a B&B. It's New Year's Eve and we're in Burlington, Vermont. It was beautiful walking down Church Street, the local pedestrian-only thoroughfare. There were lots of lights in all the trees and Morgane was delighted to find huge piles of snow dumped here and there, probably just so kids like her could climb and slide on them. We arrived at the B&B just in time for the early fireworks show which we could see perfectly well from the backyard, overlooking Champlain Lake.

Tomorrow all the stores will be closed, so alas, I might not get my English bookstore fix, but tonight we are happy to have a quiet place to sleep - the motel was not even quiet last night, imagine New Year's Eve! Morgane is in bed; when she saw her bed she climbed over it, around it and even under it before proceeding to cover it with a green velvety blanket. She tried hard to smooth out every last bump. Ghis may not be awake to see the midnight fireworks since he's already in bed and his eyes are closed and it's only 8pm.

As for me, I have wireless internet and one bottle of British Columbia pomegranate-flavoured cider which someone bought me in Ottawa and which I've been hauling around with me on this trip. And I have chocolate I bought on Church Street. Yee-ha. Ghis is snoring, so he's officially asleep.

Maybe I'll take our dog, Carmanah, for a walk around the neighbourhood. It looks pleasant with large, bright New England houses and a fresh dusting of snow. And instead of making resolutions, maybe I'll think of three things that I'll stop trying to change and just accept instead. But one thing to change, too.

No comments: